If you would like to contribute, please review the following guidelines:
- Creativity is encouraged in all its manifestations from the straightforward and plain-spoken to the wild and experimental. Video or audio essays are acceptable as long as they are in a file and format size that can be uploaded to or embedded in WordPress.
- Essay length does not matter, this is the internet and space is not limited, short or long, take the amount of space you need. However, this is not the right place for book-length essays.
- Topics can be on anything that strikes your fancy and can be think-y and challenging or lighthearted and humorous or something in between.
- Material that is racist, sexist, homophobic, or in any way hateful and derogatory will not be accepted.
- Since my competence in reading Spanish and German is poor and my ability to read any other language nonexistent, I am sorry to say I can only accept contributions in English. You can include languages other than English in your essay, but the majority of the piece must be in English.
- Copyright laws must be followed. If you quote extensively, please include citations. If you use a short quote or quote indirectly, please make reference in the text of your essay to who or what you are quoting (When Thoreau exhorted us all to simplify …). Plagiarism is also very bad, but you know that already.
- Copyright also includes photos and images. If you include either in your essay and they are not of your own creation, please make sure you have permission to use them and include appropriate attribution.
- If you have your own blog, cross-posting is perfectly fine. You are the owner of your own copyright and can do whatever the heck you want with your own work.
- Please include a brief biography with your contribution, one that you don’t mind appearing at the end of your essay and on a separate site page of contributors. If you have your own website go ahead and include a link to it. If you would like to include a photo of yourself, please do.
- Feel free to suggest a broad category for your essay like politics, climate change, family, as well as more specific tags that directly reflect the content of your piece. If you don’t make any suggestions I will come up with some but will run them by you first.
- I am not going to edit your work. Please make sure it is thoroughly edited and proofread and ready for primetime before you submit it. I will of course be reading it before it gets posted and will happily correct typos but other than that, you are on your own.
- You do not need to format your essay for the internet. If you, like me, love HTML code, feel free to format links and photos yourself. But you don’t have to. Photos should be sent as separate image files I can upload to WordPress.
- When I receive your contribution I will email you and let you know I have it. Then I will read it and let you know what date it will go live.
Please email contributions and/or questions to: vocalisessays dot gmail dot com